4.24.2008

Glory Days


With JT down one-arm, there's an astonishing array of chores and parenting tasks that fall to me-- the able-bodied one. This temporary misalignment has given me a glimpse at what it would be like to be in a relationship where taking care of the house and the kids was entirely my job. I've got to say, it's not a place i'd like to be.

It's not just the sense that chores and household drudgery squash out the fun stuff in my day. I miss the sharing and the partnership that goes along with being jointly responsible for things. If i was in charge of the cooking, shopping, cleaning, kids (feeding, cleaning, discipline), and my sanity-- would JT listen as intently when i related an anecdote about a particularly crazy bath time or Silas making a beeline for the stairs as soon as i turned my back? Maybe, but now i know he's invested in our conversation because these things have happened to him and tomorrow (or in six weeks at least) it'll be his turn to keep everything under control.

I miss the help-- but i miss the camaraderie too. Some days, or really everyday from 6 to 7 pm, parenting can feel like fighting in the trenches and it's lonely without my comrade sharing the burden. I'm just thankful that normally this is a job we share.

No comments: