The Ear Tubes are In

From March 2009

Today was the Silas' scheduled surgery to get ear tubes inserted in both ears. If you look up information about ear tubs (there's a good overview of infections and tubes here) you'll see they aren't really tubes at all-- more like little flat disks with a whole in them. They're tiny but the point is to drain the fluid that in Silas' case has been hanging around at least 4 months.

The timing of the surgery couldn't have been better. We were to arrive at the hospital at 9:15 and the surgery was scheduled for 10:45 am. Silas couldn't eat after last night but he could have clear liquids up until 7:30 this morning. Included in the "clear liquid" category was juice (a rare treat at our house) and jello. So the boys both had a "hospital morning" breakfast of juice and jello and then we were off to drop Henry at school and take Silas on to the hospital.

Silas was in great spirits and not the least bit upset all morning while we went to the hospital, got settled in our room, got Silas in his gown and his vitals checked. He loved the sliding glass doors that separated each room and they helped to pass the time while we waited. We talked everything over with a few anesthesiologists and his mild cold was considered within the normal range and not a reason to cancel the surgery. After meeting with the Dr. and another anesthesiologist we were all ready to go.

From March 2009

It really helped having gone through surgery with Henry before. I asked if i could take Silas back and the anesthesiologist agreed. Silas did get upset as we started to walk down to the operating room although they let me carry him and i'm sure he would have been more upset if i wasn't there. When we got into the operating room he calmed down and the nurses and the anesthesiologist were great with him. I have to say i've never had anything other than amazing experiences at Children's Hospital. It took just a minute or two while he breathed in the strawberry gas to fall asleep. He was quiet while it was happening, stroking his bunny and baby and with his pacifier. They're really wonderful about accommodating all the soothing loveys kids have. I was taken back to meet JT and we went to the waiting room.

They told us the procedure was so quick that we should stay put rather than going to get something to eat. I didn't look at the clock but i would guess it was 20 minutes before they were calling us back. We met with the Dr. who told us everything went fine, that ear drum had been pushed back, most probably because the fluid had been there a very long time. He said normally this wasn't a problem but that sometimes it could cause the tubes to fall out early. So, we'll just have to wait and see.

A few more minutes passed and then we got to go back to see Silas who had already woken up. He was cuddling with a nurse and quiet but heaving as if he had been sobbing. They said he had been really upset and just kept calling for "mommy." He was very sweet and just wanted to cuddle and be held. They said some kids were very difficult to console when they came out of anesthesia so it was nice that he was looking for some much cuddling. After a few minutes we got to go to a recovery room with Silas and he really settled down at that point. He sat in my lap and watched "Diego" which was on tv and decided he was all for the apple juice and animal crackers that had been offered to him.

By the time the show was over we were getting the discharge instructions and we were all done and leaving the hospital by a little after noon. You really would not have know that he had surgery basically from the minute we left the hospital. He napped like normal and was his usual active self all evening.

Henry on the other hand was a basket case today. Very emotional, quick to get frustrated and break down, temper tantrums, the works. So maybe he was just acting out on Silas' behalf. We're not sure but we're hoping tomorrow goes more smoothly. All expectations are that everyone will be back at school tomorrow.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I'm really glad that Silas did so well. Love to all!